The Check Disk utility, namely CHKDSK when you use the command form, usually associates with hard drives. It's designed to scan through your entire hard drive to find and fix problems. Windows users take CHKDSK as a very practical yet powerful tool to help prevent potentially risky problems and data loss in the long run. Mainly, CHKDSK takes effect in two scenarios: One is to scan the integrity of the file system and attempt to fix any logical file system errors that it finds; The other is to look for bad sectors and it is able to repair soft bad sectors or mark hard bad sectors so they won't be used again. CHKDSK is functional in most times. However, some of you might see CHKDSK not working in Windows 11, 10, 8 or 7 as well.
Why is CHKDSK not working occasionally as expected? First of all, start a basic examination of the following basics of a successful disk checking in Windows 10.
1. Did you run as an administrator?
2. Is CHKDSK stuck or frozen due to a high disk usage on your computer?
3. Is it because CHKDSK won't run at all, or simply the command chkdsk/f (chkdsk f/r) not working?
4. Did CHKDSK return the exact error messages as follows?
Typical error messages related to CHKDSK not working are usually easier to tackle. If you cannot run CHKDSK by receiving the exact error messages in the example, click the given link to find corresponding solutions. What if your case is not presented in the very part? Take it easy. Next are five general troubleshooting methods for CHKDSK not working in Windows 11/10/8/7. Users who come across the problem of not being able to run CHKDSK or CHKDSK commands fail to repair errors on a hard drive, USB flash drive or memory card, read on and give each method a try.
Are you having a similar problem on your computer, hard drive partition or storage devices that the CHKDSK checking process hangs with nothing repaired? Are you unable to run a startup disk check by the scheduled CHKDSK command in PC? Relax! Powerful & effective methods are available here to help you fix CHKDSK not working issue in Windows 10/8/7 with ease now.
When CHKDSK fails to work on your PC hard drive, partitions or storage devices, you can apply a CHKDSK alternative software for help. Here you may try a highly recommended free CHKDSK alternative software - Qiling Partition Master Free to free check and fix internal errors in Windows system, hard drive partitions and external storage devices.
Download it for free and follow the steps below to run a CHKDSK checking process on your storage devices or partition hard drive with Qiling Partition Master.
Step 1. Open Qiling Partition Master. Click the disk that you want to check in the "Disk management" page, and then click "Surface Test".
Step 2. Click "Proceed" button to start scaning sectors and all bad sectors will be marked as red.
When you failed to run CHKDSK with cmd command in PC, you may try a system restore to restore the system to a previous state/point to get this issue fixed. Follow below guide to get your problem fixed now:
Note: Once the System Restore process starts, it cannot be interrupted. And if you have essential personal files stored in system drive, please backup them in advance.
After finishing the system restore process, restart your computer to keep all changes. Then you can run CHKDSK command to check and fix system errors or internal errors in hard drive, partition or storage devices in your PC now.
1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog and type: regedit.exe and hit Enter to open Registry editor.
2. Navigate to below location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session ManagerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.
3. On the right pane, double-click on the BootExecute string and make sure the value data is set to 'autocheck autochk*'.
If you have enabled and used the hybrid boot in Windows 10, CHKDSK command may not be able to work, and you have to turn it off:
1. Click Start and type: CMD to open Command Prompt by hitting Enter.
2. Type: powercfg /h off and hit Enter to disable the hybrid boot feature in Windows 10.
3. Reboot PC to keep all changes in Windows system and then you shall be able to use CMD with CHKDSK command again.
1. Open the File Explorer, click This PC and access Windows.old folder at C: \Windows.old.
2. Right-click on autochk.exe file > Open the properties to modify the ownership to your account.
3. Copy the autochk.exe file to C:\Windows\System32 folder and replace it.
4. You can also try to copy the autochk.exe file from an older Windows system version to this not working PC and replace it.
5. Reboot PC to keep all changes.
Due to the fact that CHKDSK is an efficient disk checking tool to scan and fix the hard drive for file system corruption and bad sectors, it's significant to develop basic skills to fix the problem of CHKDSK not working properly sometimes. Here on this page, you've learned more than five ways to deal with the issue of a not working chkdsk/f or chkdsk f / r, and I hope at least one method has solved your problem of not being able to run the check disk at the moment.
In addition, sometimes CHKDSK is working but it takes too long to complete the process. For those who waited for hours and hours, but the chkdsk is still stuck at 10%, 11%, 12%, or 32%, you need to take further action.
Step 1. Run sfc /scannow to run the System File Checker.
Step 2. Execute the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to repair the Windows image
Step 3. Escape and restart the CHKDSK.
Qiling Partition Master is a reliable partition management software tool that is trustworthy, powerful, fast, safe, and easy-to-use. As you can see from the steps above, you can successfully change a hard disk from GPT to MBR with this program with simple clicks. All the process will take less than five minutes. You can also convert from an MBR to a GPT with Qiling Partition Master. Don't hesitate to give it a try.